Saturday, April 14, 2007

Well, new banjos are underway. Here are some photos. You can see all the ingredients for the banjo - a giant, 14-inch pot, the walnut block for the neck, and the paduak fingerboard. Once I set up the break angle for the peghead (2nd photo), i found that there was some beautiful grain and figuring around a knot in the wood that will sadly be covered up. I then clamped the paduak peghead overlay on and let it sit for the night (3rd photo). You can see what itll look like on monday when all the glue dries (4th photo). The deep orange paduak is going to contrast wonderfully with the washed-out brown of the walnut.



I'm also working on a non-commissioned banjo. A very long time ago, when I was more interested in exotic woods, I found this fantastic piece of wenge with a phenomenal grain pattern. I'm trying a little bit of a different design for the neck, and I think this one will come out really nicely, if I ever have time to finish it.

No comments: